Senior Software Engineer (Data Science)
About Whisker Labs
We’re on a mission to save lives and property, leading the next wave in smart home technology and fire prevention with Ting. This intelligent sensor and concierge service monitors a home’s electrical network to detect electrical hazards that often lead to the most devastating and catastrophic fires. While on the job preventing fires inside a home, Ting also helps monitor the electrical grid, contributing to increased community fire safety and reduced environmental impact that comes with fire reduction. We’re steadfastly addressing the long-underserved realm of electrical fire prevention with leading-edge technology and embarking on the next stage of our growth. Visit tingfire.com for more information.
About the Role
Whisker Labs is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Data Science team. As part of the team, you will be responsible for advancing Whisker Lab’s technology to detect early warning signs of electrical fires in homes, preventing one of the deadliest types of fires. The team’s primary focus is on developing algorithms, automation, and internal web-based tools to detect electrical fire hazards and enable our fire safety team to mitigate them efficiently.
We are fully remote and empower individuals to take leadership in driving their work. We regularly collaborate via Slack, ad hoc and small group meetings, and a formal full team weekly meeting. Whisker Labs is growing rapidly, but our data science team retains a high-energy, fast-moving, creative culture. We prioritize empowering individuals and trust you to make good decisions without substantial oversight while being proactive in reaching out when roadblocks appear.
You must have substantial experience in Python software development and have experience developing front ends (e.g., using HTML/CSS/JS and frameworks like Flask + Jinja).
- Lead developer for data science backend infrastructure.
- Support for internal websites which convey data and data science outputs to our operations teams and facilitate the management of the fire hazard remediation process
- Improve the efficiency of existing data science infrastructure (code and cloud usage)
- Participate in software design, production readiness, and code reviews
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other engineering discipline combined with significant coursework or experience in software development.
- Substantial experience in Python software development
- Experience with building webpages and designing a functional UI/UX using Python web development frameworks
- Independent, self-learner, excellent problem solver
- Experience with a *nix-based development workflow (e.g., git, SSH, Make, shell scripting)
- Experience with cloud ecosystems (AWS preferred)
What We Offer
- Competitive salary + equity
- Freedom to make, own and carry out decisions
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
Whisker Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. Whisker Labs maintains a drug-free workplace and performs post-employment/ pre-employment drug testing and various background checks. Please note that, depending on the specific position applied for, you may be required to pass additional job-related medical tests, background checks, and/or other requirements.